» 2017 Call for Scores
» 2017 Winner, Saad Haddad
» 2014-2015 Winner, Michael-Gilbertson
» 2013 Winner, Emily Cooley
» 2012 Winner, Roger Zare
» 2011 Winner, Michael-Thomas Foumai
Call for Scores
Call for Scores
DEADLINE: September 1, 2016
The Sioux City Symphony and Music Director, Ryan Haskins are pleased to issue a "Call for Scores" for its 2017 Composer of the Year competition.
The Sioux City Symphony Orchestra is committed to the education, development, and promotion of American composers. The SCSO Composer of the Year competition is designed to annually highlight one, highly talented composer who is currently in the early stage of his/her professional career. The Composer of the Year will receive a premiere performance by the Sioux City Symphony, press/media coverage, scheduled lectures at selected local colleges and universities, and involvement in a variety of other community related outreach programs.
1. Applicants must be US citizens in the early stages of their professional career.
2. Submitted works may not have received a performance or a reading by a professional orchestra. (school/conservatory performances do not count as professional readings/performances)
3. Works should be 5 to 15 minutes in length.
4. Not eligible are concertos, choral works, and works for winds/brass only. (works for string orchestra will be accepted)
5. Instrumentation must not exceed:
3fl [1 dbl pic], 3 ob [1dbl EH], 3 cl [1 dbl bass cl], 3 bsn[no contra bsn], 4 hn, 3 tp, 2tbn, 1 bass tbn, tuba, timp +3, hp, piano, str
1. One (1) bound/computer generated score of an orchestral work written within the last 5 years.
2. A recording is required and can be emailed (MIDI is acceptable - email address is below)
3. One (1) current curriculum vitae that includes current address, telephone number, e-mail address, and proof of US citizenship
4. A short bio of the composer (150 words max)
5. A brief description of the work and notes detailing performance history if any, including all dates and names of performing ensembles.
6. One (1) check made out the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra in the amount of $25.00 (twenty-five) US dollars.
After the selection panel reviews all of the entries, the Composer of the Year will then be chosen and his/her work will be performed on Saturday, April 29, 2017 by the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra. The Composer of the Year will travel to Sioux City and be a part of the rehearsal process for the premiere of their work in addition to other scheduled community outreach activities.
The selection panel will include Music Director, Ryan Haskins; composer, Clint Needham; and other members of the artistic team.
Finalists will be interviewed by the committee to determine ability to speak about their piece.
Applicants will be notified of the results no later than Wednesday, October 12, 2016.
Upon selection, the Composer of the Year must provide the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra with a complete set of parts (at no additional cost to the SCSO) that conform to the American Composers Forum Music Copying Guidelines.
The Sioux City Symphony will provide hotel accommodations and local transportation, however transportation to and from Sioux City, IA will be the responsibility of the Composer of the Year.
SCSO COMPOSER OF THE YEAR
Postmarked by Thursday, September 1, 2016
WHO MAY APPLY: US citizens in the early stages of their professional career
ENTRY FEE: $25.00 (twenty-five) US dollars
Checks made payable to: Sioux City Symphony Orchestra
LIMITATIONS: One (1) work per applicant will be considered.
Composition must be between five (5) and fifteen (15) minutes in duration.
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: Copy of passport or birth certificate
INSTRUMENTATION: maximum 3333 4331 tmp+3 hp piano str
(standard doubling applies, see information above)
PRIZE: Named SCSO Composer of the Year
Premiere performance by the SCSO (April 29, 2017)
One (1) hard copy score to be mailed to the address below
A recording is required, MIDI acceptable
A short bio (150 words max) mailed with score and entry fee
Mail Hard Copy:
___ One (1) bound/computer generated score
___ A brief description of the piece submitted
___ Short composer bio (150 words max)
___ Curriculum Vitae including current address, telephone number, and e-mail address
___ Proof of US citizenship
___ Entry Fee - $25.00 (U.S.) made payable to the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra
Materials Mailed to:
Sioux City Symphony Orchestra
"Composer of the Year"
518 Pierce Street
Sioux City, IA 51101
___ MIDI Files only to: email@example.com
Please email all questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
***Submitted compositions that do not conform to these guidelines cannot be considered for the inclusion of this Call for Scores.
***The decision of the selection panel is final and also reserves the right not to award the prize in a given year.
***Honorable Mention will be awarded at the discretion of the selection panel.
Download the 2017 Call for Scores info here