2018 Call for Scores - CLOSED
DEADLINE: Monday, October 2, 2017
The Sioux City Symphony and Music Director, Ryan Haskins are pleased to issue a "Call for Scores" for the SCSO’s 2018 Composer of the Year competition.
The Sioux City Symphony Orchestra is committed to the education, development, and promotion of American composers. The SCSO Composer of the Year competition is designed to annually highlight one, highly talented composer who is currently in the early stage of their professional career. In addition to a $1,000 (one-thousand US dollars) monetary prize, the SCSO’s Composer of the Year will receive a premiere performance by the Sioux City Symphony, press/media coverage, scheduled lectures at selected local colleges and universities, and involvement in a variety of other community related outreach programs.
1. Applicants must be US citizens in the early stages of their professional career.
2. Submitted works may not have received a performance or a reading by a professional orchestra. (school/conservatory performances do not count as professional readings/performances)
3. Works should be 5 to 15 minutes in length.
4. Not eligible are concertos, choral works, and works for winds/brass only. (works for string orchestra will be accepted)
5. Instrumentation must not exceed:
3fl [1 dbl pic], 3 ob [1dbl EH], 3 cl [1 dbl bass cl], 3 bsn [1 dbl contra bsn], 4 hn, 3 tp, 2 tbn, 1 bass tbn, tuba, timp +3, pf/cel, hp, str
SUBMIT via email to: email@example.com :
1. Scores must be submitted in PDF format.
2. One (1) computer generated score of an orchestral work written within the last 5 years.
3. A recording is required (MIDI is acceptable)
4. One (1) current curriculum vitae that includes current address, telephone number, email address, and proof of US citizenship
5. A short bio of the composer in PDF format (150 words max)
6. A brief description of the work and notes detailing performance history if any, including all dates and names of performing ensembles.
7. Entry Fee of $25.00 (twenty-five) US dollars payable via PayPal.com link below
After the selection panel reviews all of the entries, the Composer of the Year will then be chosen and their work will be performed on Saturday, February 10, 2018 by the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra. The Composer of the Year will travel to Sioux City and be a part of the rehearsal process for the premiere of their work in addition to other scheduled community outreach activities.
The selection panel will include Music Director, Ryan Haskins; composer, Clint Needham; and other members of the artistic team.
Finalists will be interviewed by the committee and are expected to succinctly speak about their work, their compositional process, and offer any additional concepts that may help an audience engage with their work.
Applicants will be notified of the results no later than Monday, November 3, 2017.
Upon selection, the Composer of the Year must provide the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra with a complete set of parts (at no additional cost to the SCSO) that conform to the American Composers Forum Music Copying Guidelines.
The Sioux City Symphony will provide the Composer of the Year with one (1) round trip flight to Sioux City, IA.
The Sioux City Symphony will provide the Composer of the Year with hotel accommodations and local transportation during their residency in Sioux City.
The Sioux City Symphony will award a monetary prize of $1,000 (one-thousand) US dollars to the named Composer of the Year (recipient is responsible for all US taxes associated with prize money)
SCSO COMPOSER OF THE YEAR
Must be received by Monday, October 2, 2017
WHO MAY APPLY:
US citizens / Composer in the early stages of their professional career
$25.00 (twenty-five) US dollars
Payable via PayPal link below
One (1) work per applicant will be considered.
Composition must be between five (5) and fifteen (15) minutes in duration.
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP:
Copy of passport or birth certificate
maximum 3333 4331 tmp+3 pf/cel hp str
(standard doubling applies, see information above)
Named SCSO Composer of the Year
$1,000 (one-thousand) US dollars
Premiere performance by the SCSO (February 10, 2018)
One (1) score in PDF format to be emailed to the address below
Recording is required, MIDI acceptable
A short bio in PDF format (150 words max) emailed with score and entry fee
Email the following:
___ One (1) computer generated score in PDF format
___ A brief description of the piece submitted
___ Short composer bio (150 words max) in PDF format
___ Curriculum Vitae including current address, telephone number, and email address
___ Proof of US citizenship (scan)
All Materials should be electronically submitted to:
___ Entry Fee - $25.00 (U.S.) payable to the SCSO via PayPal.com
Please email all questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
***Submitted compositions that do not conform to these guidelines cannot be considered for the inclusion of this Call for Scores.
***The decision of the selection panel is final and also reserves the right not to award the prize in a given year.
***Honorable Mention will be awarded at the discretion of the selection panel.
For a Printable version of this information, click here